Trend Alert! Smuice Is Now a Thing

Blending smoothies and juicing on the reg have both been on trend in the health world for quite some time. But have you ever heard of a drink that gives you a little bit of both textures? Ladies and gentlemen, we give you—smuice!

Trend Alert! Smuice Is Now a Thing

Blending smoothies and juicing on the reg have both been on trend in the health world for quite some time. But have you ever heard of a drink that gives you a little bit of both textures? Ladies and gentlemen, we give you—smuice!

One great way to speed up metabolism is to fuel your body with lots of fruits and vegetables. And in the summertime, a cool drink is vital to have on hand at all times. Smoothies can be a great idea—except when they’re store-bought and loaded with added sugars. Juice is also delicious—except when the nutrients have been ruined and cut out of the equation.

The latest answer? Smuice! Smuice is basically when you juice 80 percent of your ingredients and puree (i.e. blend, like a smoothie) the other 20 percent. Plant-based chef and holistic health expert Sascha Weiss says that this combo means you can also use some of the scraps of fruits and veggies, like the watermelon rind or the green fronds of a carrot because they balance out the flavor. Best of all, by skipping the sugar-heavy options, your blood sugar will be more stable—while you still get the nutrients and hydration you crave.

Whether you’re aiming for weight loss success or just trying to reap the benefits of fresh produce, homemade smuice enables you to extract the most nutrition from each fruit and veggie that you toss in the mix. Also, if you’re tired of the sweeter flavors, try broadening your horizons and tackling a savory recipe instead. Do you think the spicy mango salsa would make a fun drink? Go for it with some tomatoes, mango, a tiny bit of jalapeno—and smuice it!