Chipotle Is Being Sued Again for Food Poisoning
A lawsuit against Chipotle has been filed on behalf of someone who developed a foodborne illness after eating at a location in Columbus, Ohio in September. It's the second lawsuit against the fast-casual Mexican chain to be filed.
Lawyers from the food safety law firm Pritzker Hageman, P.A. say their client, a teenage girl, developed an E. coli O157:H7 infection after eating a salad bowl on Sept. 24. It included romaine lettuce, tomato, salsa, and guacamole. "The client suffered a painful and debilitating gastrointestinal illness and was hospitalized for several days," according to a statement. The first lawsuit filing was announced on Oct. 31. The second was announced on Nov. 12. Chipotle has not responded to Eat This, Not That!'s request for comment.
The lawyers say they are investigating whether the romaine from Chipotle at 1140 Polaris Parkway in Columbus is responsible for their client's illness. A recall was issued in late October after samples of the romaine sold at Walmart tested positive for E. coli. The lawsuit says this client's illness could be associated with the Walmart romaine recall or two others recently issued.
This case isn't the only one they are looking into. "This is the second lawsuit that our E. coli lawyers have filed for clients who purchased food containing romaine lettuce and other ingredients on the same day from the same Chipotle restaurant," the statement says.
It's not the first time the chain has been linked to E. coli outbreaks. In 2015, 60 people became ill in 11 states after developing food poisoning from eating at Chipotle. An E. coli outbreak was linked to Jimmy John's earlier this year after 51 people became ill, according to Pritzker Hageman.
To stay up to date on all recalls and outbreaks relating to your favorite foods, sign up for our daily email newsletter.
More content from Restaurants
- – 5 Old-School Restaurant Chains That Chefs Miss the Most
- – Dine-In Chains That Serve Surprisingly "Gourmet" Food, According To Chefs
- – McDonald's Is Launching a Giveaway of a Lifetime—Here's How to Enter
- – McDonald's Holiday Pie Is Back at Nationwide Locations
- – 8 Fast-Food Chains That Never Freeze Their Burgers
- – 5 Old-School Chain Restaurant Meals We Can't Get Over, According to Chefs
- – 9 Secrets You Should Know About LongHorn Steakhouse
- – 10 Best Chain Restaurant Deals and Freebies You Can Score On Black Friday