These Bankrupt Grocery Chain Locations Are Getting a Second Chance
Several grocery store chains have filed for bankruptcy this year, including Earth Fare and Lucky's Market. Instead of demolishing the shuttered storefronts, another grocer has swept in to reopen their doors: Winn-Dixie.
The popular grocery store chain Winn-Dixie announced this week that it would introduce four new stores across Florida on Nov. 11, specifically in locations once occupied by grocery chains that have declared bankruptcy. The new store opening in Gainsville, for example, was a former Lucky's Market. The other three locations—Boynton Beach, Jacksonville, and Lakewood Ranch—were all previously Earth Fare stores. (Related: 9 Restaurant Chains That Closed Hundreds of Locations This Summer)
Still, Earth Fare—which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Feb. 4 this year—has been making a gradual comeback. The Asheville, North Carolina-based chain has opened 13 locations since June 22. At the time of its bankruptcy declaration, the chain operated 50 stores in 10 states. Most of those stores were sold during a bidding process at the height of the pandemic in March and April. Many of those locations were sold to Aldi and Whole Foods, as well as Southeastern Grocers, the parent company of Winn-Dixie.
The new Winn-Dixie locations will also offer a more expansive variety of signature items in the deli, grab-and-g0, farm-fresh produce, fresh sushi, and specialty cheeses departments. Additionally, the full-service meat department is getting a revamp. It will now feature 12 flavors of specialty sausages, plus Certified Angus Beef cuts. Since all of these locations will be based in Florida, the seafood departments at each respective store will showcase locally caught Florida Keys lobster, Florida stone crab and shrimp.
Southeastern Grocers also plans to open four more Winn-Dixie stores in Florida by the beginning of 2021.
To stay abreast of all grocery store updates, be sure to sign up for our newsletter.
More content from Groceries
- – This Clever Trick Will Let You Shop at Costco Without a Membership
- – 5 Grocery Store Trends You'll Start Seeing Everywhere in 2023
- – Walmart's Black Friday Deals Include These Top-Notch Food and Kitchen Items
- – 4 Best Store-Bought Pies To Save Your Thanksgiving
- – 9 Best Food Advent Calendars to Order Now
- – Which Grocery Chain Has the Most Delicious Pre-Made Pumpkin Pie This Year?
- – You Could Win a Year's Worth of Free Groceries From Whole Foods—Here's How
- – 4 Grocery Shortages Shoppers Could Experience Ahead of Thanksgiving