These are the Most Expensive Grocery Store Items Right Now
It's no secret that some groceries are more expensive during the pandemic. With supply-chain issues and the threat of a meat shortage, finding everything on your grocery list (and at a reasonable price) is a thing of the past. Here are some grocery items that are more expensive right now than they were before the spread of the coronavirus.
And for more tips, sign up for our newsletter to get daily recipes and food news in your inbox!
Georgia's WLTZ reported that in May, steak prices jumped by almost 12% nationwide. Beef and veal prices, on the whole, are up, so it's a great time to try some of these 33 Easy Plant-Based Recipes Even Carnivores Will Love.
The price of veal also rose by around 11% in May. We know it's delicious, but it's not the best choice if you're trying to lower your grocery bill.
Decreased beef production, along with increased demand for meat and other groceries, caused the price of beef to rise in May. That was especially true for raw beef roasts, which increased in price by a whopping 19.5% in May. Now might not the best time to try out that stew recipe you have pinned!
STAY INFORMED: Click here for all of our latest coronavirus coverage.
It's not just meat! The cost of fresh produce is also on the rise, with tomatoes seeing a 2% price increase in May, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The price of eggs rose 16.1% in April and fell 4.8% in May, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. So eggs aren't as expensive as they were in April, but they still cost more than they did before the pandemic. Still, if you're looking for an easy animal protein to add to your recipes, they're a lot more cost-effective than red meat.
More content from Groceries
- – I Tasted 7 Microwavable Oatmeals, and This Was My Favorite
- – 30 Simple Tricks to Make Your Produce Last Longer
- – 15 Foods to Eat When You're Not Getting Any Exercise
- – 15 Bizarre Side Effects of Common Foods
- – We Tried 5 American Cheese Brands & This Is the Best
- – We Tasted the Most Popular Beers & This Is the Best!
- – We Tasted 9 Popular Crackers and These Are the Best
- – 13 Discontinued Breakfast Foods That You'll Sadly Never See Again