Cranberry Orange Relish Recipe
It always helps to have a few secret weapons up your sleeve, especially when it comes to extra seasonings, sauces, spreads, and relish. Half the time what knocks people off of an otherwise healthy eating cycle is when they get bored with the same old bland foods or recipes and start giving into cravings and greasy fast foods. Well, here's a way to keep your healthy dishes surprising you.
This healthy orange cranberry relish is amazing with a Thanksgiving bird, of course, but it's also great with roast chicken or spread on sandwiches, toast, or even roast veggies and steak! Double the recipe so that you have a few batches on hand to satisfy your cravings. It's so good, you could even eat it with a spoon or spread on whole-wheat toast! When you have an arsenal of healthier sauces, spices, and relishes on hand, you can turn even the dullest meal into something memorable.
1 bag (12oz) frozen cranberries
Zest and juice from 1 orange
1⁄3 cup sugar, plus more if needed
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
How to Make It
- Combine the cranberries, orange juice, sugar, and ginger in a saucepan set over medium heat.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cranberries break down to form a thick sauce.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness with more sugar if necessary.
- Add the orange zest just before serving.
Eat This Tip
It is always our goal to keep our recipes healthy and low-calorie, easy and fast to make, and also affordable. Often keeping things affordable means that when picking up ingredients you'll choose to opt for the less expensive produce. When it comes to making dips, spreads, and sauces, however, you might want to splurge on the organic or farmers market fruits and veggies. Because you'll be using said ingredients to distill down to their essence, the higher quality will pay off, and because you'll be using these spreads and spices to flavor the rest of your meal, it'll be worth it.
Love this recipe? Subscribe to our Eat This, Not That! magazine for even more at-home cooking and healthy eating ideas.
More content from Recipes
- – 27 Creative Ricotta Cheese Recipes (That Aren't Lasagna)
- – 10 Old-Fashioned Dips Made With Healthier Ingredients
- – 10 Healthier Copycat Recipes for Nostalgic Childhood Treats
- – Video Shows Courteney Cox Making the "Greatest Steak of All Time" With Some Unexpected Ingredients
- – 16 Quick & Healthy Soup Recipes That Could Help You Lose Weight
- – 13 Best Chicken Sausage Recipes for Weight Loss
- – 15 Best Old-Fashioned Recipes to Bring Back for Fall
- – 19 Show-Stopping Halloween Party Foods That Will Spook Your Guests