I'm a Doctor and You Should Respect COVID, If Not 'Be Afraid'
Today, President Donald Trump, hospitalized with coronavirus, tweeted that he's being discharged, writing: "Don't be afraid of Covid. Don't let it dominate your life." He continued: "We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!"
There Is a Middle Ground
From the beginning of the pandemic, as an Emergency Physician, I have counseled patients every day about how to live their lives during a pandemic—using an analogy of driving in a car. Cars can be dangerous especially driving at highway speeds. The risk to your life if you get into a car accident is high, with thousands of Americans perishing every year on the road. If you perseverate on this, however, it can become debilitating and keep you from being able to function. There is a middle ground that allows for a healthy amount of respect without being completely debilitated.
The same can be said with the COVID-19 pandemic. There is a very obvious concern to health as it is a virus that has caused deaths of many Americans, some who are young and without any medical problems. There are also those who have been so gripped with fear, that their overall health and wellness is overlooked.
We Should Show Respect While Still Living Our Lives
I have seen patients delaying personal healthcare for strokes, heart attacks and severe infections left for days without treatment as patients are too scared of Covid to come to the Emergency Department for treatment. The fear has also caused stress and anxiety to those who contract the disease. Some patients break down in tears and think the diagnosis is a death sentence.
Until we have a viable vaccine to prevent the virus, we must show it the appropriate respect for the lethality, while still finding a way to live our lives. With social distancing, and appropriate use of masks, the cases can be minimized and our lives can continue. So follow those simple fundamentals, and to get through this pandemic at your healthiest, don't miss these Sure Signs You've Already Had Coronavirus.
More content from ETNT Health
- – These Heart Symptoms, Including Swelling, Can Appear Early. Catch Them Fast to Live a Longer Life.
- – What is Inflammation? Two Immunologists Explain How Your Body Responds to Vaccines and Stings
- – Vitamin B-12 Deficiency is a Common Health Problem That Can Have Serious Consequences
- – I am a Doctor and Wish Everyone Over 60 Knew These Life-Saving Tips
- – Here's Exactly How Much Vitamin D is Safe, as Man Hospitalized With Intoxication
- – I am a Doctor and Here's How to Tell You Have High Blood Pressure
- – Signs Your Belly Fat Needs to Be Melted and How to Do It Safely and Effectively
- – Know the Warning Signs of Oral Cancer, as Gwyneth Paltrow's Mom Blythe Danner Reveals Diagnosis