Dr. Fauci Says You Haven't Done this Yet, But Should
The fall and winter months are upon us, and COVID-19 infections are starting to surge across the country. Though a vaccine is expected in the next couple of months, experts have warned that once the immunization is available, it will likely take a year or more for it to actually be effective on a national level. This is why Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's leading infectious disease expert and key member of the White House Coronavirus Task Force routinely urges the importance of abiding by a few recommended prevention strategies he has dubbed his fundamentals. And, during an interview with Wired on Wednesday, he added a new one to the list. Read on, and to get through this pandemic at your healthiest, don't miss these Sure Signs You've Already Had Coronavirus.
The Flu Shot is Ready Now, He Said: Get One
Dr. Fauci made it clear that shutting down the economy was not on his list of things to do in order to get the pandemic under control.
"We're talking about taking a very prudent, careful approach to reopening the economy by the common five or six things," he explained. These included "wearing masks uniformly, avoiding crowds, keeping distance, doing things outdoors absolutely much more preferentially than indoors, and washing your hands frequently."
"It sounds like rather simple things, but they do have a major impact on whether you can get those surges to come down," he added.
And, due to the impending cold and flu season, he offered another recommendation: getting the flu shot. "We now have enough flu vaccine to vaccinate almost 200 million people," he pointed out.
"Everybody, six months or older should get a flu shot," he stated.
"If we do and abide by those public health measures that I just mentioned, we might mitigate well the flu season," he continued.
Other Countries Have Seen Success with the Flu Shot
He used Australia and Argentina, "our colleagues in the Southern hemisphere" as an example of the effectiveness of his recommendations, pointing out that they "had almost a non-existent flu season, the first time in memory that they had such a low flu season," he said.
"The reason is they abided by the public health measures that I just mentioned. So as we enter the flu season, get your flu shot and please pay attention to those very simple public health recommendations," he concluded.
As for yourself, to get through this pandemic at your healthiest, get that flu shot and don't miss these 35 Places You're Most Likely to Catch COVID.
More content from ETNT Health
- – Most People Feel These Symptoms With "Deadly Cancer," Including Headache or Abdominal Pain
- – Proven Anti-Aging Tips from the World's Best Experts Include Hydrated Skin and Positive Outlook
- – Queen Elizabeth Had Cancer Before She Died, Book Claims. Here are the Symptoms of Myeloma.
- – These Heart Symptoms, Including Swelling, Can Appear Early. Catch Them Fast to Live a Longer Life.
- – What is Inflammation? Two Immunologists Explain How Your Body Responds to Vaccines and Stings
- – Vitamin B-12 Deficiency is a Common Health Problem That Can Have Serious Consequences
- – I am a Doctor and Wish Everyone Over 60 Knew These Life-Saving Tips
- – Here's Exactly How Much Vitamin D is Safe, as Man Hospitalized With Intoxication