This brunch favorite recipe cuts back on calories while turbo-charging flavor!
Everyone loves a good Eggs Benedict, but let’s be honest — it’s usually because of the high-fat hollandaise sauce. This Zero Belly Cookbook version removes the sauce, but keeps the flavor and enhances weight loss at the same time!
Makes 4 servings
2 gluten-free English muffins, split in half
Olive oil spray
2 cups packed spinach leaves
2 tbsp Zero Belly Mayonnaise (see recipe below), or store-bought
Smoked paprika to taste (optional)
How to Make it
1. Toast the English muffin halves until golden brown.
2. Poach 4 eggs (see our how-to guide for instructions).
3. While the eggs are poaching, heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat; spray with olive oil spray, and add the spinach. Use a rubber spatula to stir the spinach until wilted. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess water.
4. Top each toasted English mu n half with one-quarter of the spinach mixture, and one poached egg.
5. Top with 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise and a pinch of smoked paprika, if desired.
Nutrition per serving: (with English muffin) 207 calories / 11 g fat / 9 g carb / 3 g fiber / 9 g protein
Nutrition per serving: (with portobello mushroom) 148 calories / 10 g fat / 6 g carb / 2 g fiber / 9 g protein
For a lower-calorie option, substitute English muffins with four portobello mushroom caps. To prepare the mushrooms, preheat the oven to 300°F. Wipe the portobello caps clean of dirt with a damp paper towel, and remove the stems with a paring knife. Place the mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet, spray the mushrooms lightly with olive oil spray, and bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until soft.
Zero Belly Mayonnaise Recipe
Yield 1 1/2 cups
2 egg yolks
Juice of 1 lemon
1⁄2 tsp Dijon mustard
1⁄4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
How to Make it
1. Place all of the mayonnaise ingredients except the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds. Then turn on the processor and pour in the olive oil in a steady stream, allowing the mayonnaise to emulsify.
2. Serve immediately or store in a BPA-free container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Nutrition per tbsp: 84 calories / 9 g fat / 0 g carb / 0 g fiber / 0 g protein