The Most Underrated Foods at the Grocery Store Right Now
With thousands of products on grocery store shelves, it can be hard to find new ones that are worth it. Brands use all kinds of tactics to get you to put their product in your cart like redoing packaging, updating flavors, and rebranding. And a new list awards 25 brands for their Breakthrough Innovation tactics that will ensure their product's future success. This list from Nielsen reveals just what items are the most underrated foods at the grocery store.
Household items are on the list, but over half of it is made up of foods and beverages. Pop-Tarts Bites made the list because of its new on-the-go format. The report notes that the Pop-Tarts' team took several tries to get the product right. The final result is a brand new way to enjoy the iconic treat without sacrificing the "core foundation of a Pop-Tart." (While these are about to fly off the shelves, here are 8 Grocery Items That May Soon Be in Short Supply.)
These are the "emerging new normal" foods and beverages at the grocery store:
- Bang Energy Drinks
- Beyond Burger
- Cheez-It Snap'D
- Corona Premier
- Ketel One Botanicals
- Blue Bunny Loaded Sundaes
- Bodyarmor Lyte
- Canada Dry Ginger Ale and Lemonade
- "Game of Thrones" Oreo
- Gatorade Zero
- Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
- Monster Energy Mango Loco
- Mtn Dew Liberty Brew
- Pop-Tarts Bites
- Ripple Plant-Based Milk
- Two Good Yogurt
Along with changing up the way they are consumed, these products also break the mold and promote in unexpected places. Ketel One Botanical vodka, with a bright fruity and floral label, was promoted at places like yoga events, running events, and wine festivals to appeal to those interested in health and wellness.
The most underrated foods also use interesting and eye-catching packaging. Oreo's all black Game of Thrones design has a "wow factor," the report notes. The brand had never strayed from the classic blue packaging before.
Even though the coronavirus pandemic continues and grocery shopping isn't back to normal, Nielsen anticipates more companies will create new products, try new advertising methods, and more to boost sales. For more on what to buy when shopping, these popular groceries are flying off the shelves right now.
More content from Groceries
- – Enoki Mushroom Is the Most Recalled Food Of the Year
- – 34 Items Costco Is Discontinuing This Winter
- – 4 Biggest Complaints Costco Customers Are Voicing Right Now
- – Costco Shoppers Are Going Crazy for This Frozen Pizza
- – Costco Just Brought Back Its Wagyu Beef—and Shoppers Have Mixed Feelings
- – Hummus Giant Sabra Halted Production To Get Back on Track After Frequent Food Safety Issues
- – The Best & Worst Cream Cheese on Shelves—Ranked!
- – This Clever Trick Will Let You Shop at Costco Without a Membership