Restaurants Across the U.S. Are Offering Kids Free Meals Due to School Closures
As of today, at least 36 states and New York City and Los Angeles have closed schools due to the COVID-19 pandemic, leaving 32 million children without school lunch, two-thirds of which financially depend on it. Local restaurants all across the U.S. want to help ensure children remain nourished, which is why some are passing out free meals to those who need it most.
Some schools will be closed for at least three weeks and only time will tell if these closures will be extended. Ultimately, the timeline will depend on how quickly we, as a nation, can successfully contain the spread of the disease. In Ohio, for example, several restaurants are working to accommodate children who would typically be receiving free or even reduced lunch.
Red Rose Jems Pizzeria in Cincinnati made a post on Friday announcing that it will be serving a giant slice of either cheese or pepperoni pizza with fruit and lemonade to drink every Tuesday-Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. until further notice.
In Milford, Delaware, a local restaurant called My Sister's Fault will also be offering free meals to children, from Wednesday-Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Customers are instructed to park in front of the bakery and a volunteer will provide one meal per kid in the car—there will be no need for people to get out of their cars. The restaurant will give out up to 200 free meals a day.
Sonny's Pizzeria in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin announced on Facebook that it will be offering 50 local families free lunch for their kids, which will be delivered straight to their door.
Cafe Cravings White Bear in White Bear Lake, Minnesota will be providing free meals to children between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. during the school week. Any child in need will be served a cold sandwich of their choice with potato chips.
More content from Restaurants
- – These Struggling Pizza Chains Are on a Major Rebound
- – 8 Chefs' Tips for Ordering the Best Meal at a Steakhouse
- – A Leaked Wendy's Memo Reveals the Next Big Menu Launch Scheduled for This Fall
- – 8 Fast-Food Sandwiches To Stay Away From Right Now, According to RDs
- – 8 Secrets Texas Roadhouse Employees Don't Want You to Know
- – The Latest Changes at America's Largest Coffee Chain Seem to Be Designed to Turn Customers Away
- – Taco Bell Will Be Testing Its Next Major Menu Innovation Next Month
- – This Fast-Casual Burger Chain Is Opening Dozens of New Locations