This Is The Maximum Amount Of Protein You Should Eat A Day
It's no secret that protein is good for you, but beware falling prey to too much of a good thing. If you've been incorporating this muscle-booster into every meal and snack, we applaud your efforts, but there's more to life than grilled chicken, hard-boiled eggs, and Greek yogurt. While no one's denying the existence of The 29 Best-Ever Proteins For Weight Loss, after a certain point, their benefits become ineffective and may actually inhibit your body goals.
When it comes to increasing protein intake, a study in the British Journal of Sports Medicine found that more than 1.6 grams of added protein for every kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight didn't lead to added benefits in resistant-exercise participants, especially if they were older individuals or regularly worked out. That means someone weighing 150 pounds and eating 330 grams of protein wouldn't progress, while those eating less would find themselves inching closer to the lean muscle mass they desire.
On top of being just plain old ineffective, eating this much protein could also negatively affect your body by endangering your kidneys, weight, and overall well-being. According to Cassie Bjork, RD, LD, the nitrogen commonly found in protein can be easily excreted by the body — unless you're eating too much of it. "If you're a long-time high-protein dieter, you could be increasing your risk for kidney damage," she says. Our bodies can handle about 30 grams of the stuff in one sitting max with anything higher getting stored as fat. This might explain why a study by Rovira I Virgili University in Spain found that high-protein dieters were 66 percent more at risk of dying than people who ate less.
All things considered, it couldn't hurt to take a closer look at your daily protein intake. To make it easy on you, we've already figured out Exactly How Much Protein To Eat A Day For Weight Loss.
More content from Weight Loss
- – Up Your Protein With 5 Meals That Melt Stubborn Belly Fat
- – 5 Best Habits to Lose Belly Fat and Actually Keep it Off, Says Science
- – 3 Effective Tips To Lose Face Fat From a Doctor and Trainer
- – The Best Exercises To Get Rid of Holiday Weight Fast, Expert Says
- – The #1 Workout To Get Rid of Your Holiday Gut, Fitness Expert Says
- – 3 Ridiculously Easy Rules To Keep the Holiday Weight Off
- – 6 Ways To Indulge and Still Avoid Weight Gain This Holiday Season
- – 5 Natural Ways To Burn Fat Everywhere, Expert Says