Fruit at Meijer Recalled Due to Salmonella Contamination
It's been a bad week to shop for fruit at major retailers. After Walmart pulled various containers of cut and sliced apples, grapes, mangos, pineapples, and cantaloupe from their shelves due to an outbreak of Listeria, the FDA has announced another recall of potentially contaminated fruit.
Eagle Produce, LLC and grocery chain Meijer have issued a recall on whole cantaloupe and some items containing pre-cut cantaloupe due to a potential contamination with Salmonella.(Related: 21 Best Healthy Cooking Hacks of All Time.)
The cantaloupe was sold at all 253 Meijer locations in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Wisconsin between Sept. 26 and Oct. 5.
The whole fruit may have a "Kandy Brand from Eagle Produce, LLC" sticker on it, but the FDA advises that even cantaloupe without an identifying sticker purchased from the retailer should be considered part of the recall and not consumed. The affected pre-cut cantaloupe was packaged in fruit trays and bowls in various weights ranging from 6 to 40 ounces. To get a full list of recalled products, check the FDA website.
If you've purchased cantaloupe that may be affected by this recall, you are advised to discard it immediately or return it to the nearest Meijer store for a full refund.
There have been no illnesses reported to date connected to this recall. According to the FDA, Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy adults infected with the bacteria may experience symptoms like fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
To find out more about this year's largest food recalls due to Salmonella contamination and other factors, check out 8 Major Food Recalls You Need to Know About Right Now.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest grocery and food safety news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Groceries
- – Trader Joe's Will Not Bring Back These Two Customer Perks As Food Samples Return
- – 10 Costco Finds Customers Are Currently Raving About
- – Major Grocery Chains Are Pulling 24 Cheese Brands From Shelves Due to a Listeria Outbreak
- – What Is the Costco Death Star? And Why You Should Know About It
- – 11 Regional Costco Finds Your Location May Be Missing
- – This Brand-New Purple Fruit Could Land at Your Supermarket Next Year
- – Walmart's Latest Move Will Speed Up Delivery If You Live in These States
- – This New Costco Dessert Is Making Cookie Lovers Swoon