If This Milk Is in Your Kitchen, Throw It Out Immediately
Several recalls of grocery products—including Crock-Pots and bread—have recently been issued amid other setbacks, such as repeated shortages of staple items. Now, there is another recall you need to be aware of as you prepare your grocery list for the week.
Gallon, half-gallon, quart, and pint containers of raw skim and whole milk, and cream from Cozy Vale Creamery could contain E. coli, the company recently announced in a statement to customers. The Washington State Department of Agriculture detected the presence of E. coli in the cream that was processed at the same time as the skim and whole milk products.
The potentially contaminated products have best by dates of 12/14 through 12/23 and are sold in various retail stores in Western Washington, including Marlene's Market, Olympia Food Co-op, and Organic 101. Customers are urged to throw out all products with these dates or return them for a full refund. (Related: The 7 Healthiest Foods to Eat Right Now.)
"The pathogen was not detected in raw skim and whole milk products, however, all products were processed from the same milk," the notice says. "Cozy Vale Creamery and WSDA continue to work jointly to address the source of the problem."
Symptoms of an E. coli infection include diarrhea, stomach cramps, bloody stool, and a low-grade fever.
"You usually develop symptoms of a STEC infection within three to five days after drinking or eating foods contaminated with this E. coli bacteria," according to the Cleveland Clinic. "However, you could have symptoms as early as one day after exposure up to about 10 days later."
Consider switching to another brand of milk for the time being to avoid falling ill this holiday season.
For more news on recalls and foodborne illness, here are the 17 Foods Most Likely to Give You Food Poisoning. And to get all the latest news on grocery products and recalls delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The Price of This Costco Deli Item Has Gotten Out of Hand, Members Say
- – Skittles, Starburst, and Life Savers Are Being Pulled From Grocery Store Shelves Right Now
- – This Beloved Sparkling Water Brand Just Released Four Game-Changing New Drinks
- – This Expanding Costco Rival Doesn't Require a Membership
- – 6 Most Popular Summer Snacks At Costco Right Now
- – These 6 Costco Items Have Gone Up In Price Recently
- – People Are Price Gouging Baby Formula Amid Shortage
- – 25 Worst Cereals to Stay Away From Right Now