This Mega Grocery Chain Is Opening Almost 30 New Locations
The first Amazon Fresh store opened in Los Angeles in September 2020. The company has added 11 more locations since then—and almost 30 more are on the way!
The new stores will feature digital price tags; smart Dash carts, which track groceries as customers put them inside; and Ask Alexa stations, where patrons can ask for help. The chain is also testing the "Just Walk Out" technology, which allows shoppers to bypass checkout, according to Bloomberg. Compared to other grocery stores, prices at Amazon Fresh are relatively low. (Related: Grocery Shortages To Expect in 2021, According to Experts)
This is far from Amazon's first giant step into the supermarket business. The company acquired Whole Foods in 2017, and it has continued to expand its Amazon Go and Amazon Fresh stores amid the pandemic. It added a touchless payment method with a palm-reader to an Amazon Go in Seattle in October of last year.
"As with all things at Amazon, we innovate on behalf of our customers across our grocery businesses," Jeff Helbling, vice president of Amazon Fresh, said in a statement to Bloomberg. "We know customers care about low prices, convenience, and great selection in their grocer, and we believe we offer that as well as a seamless online to in-store grocery shopping experience."
Though Amazon Fresh still has a ways to go until it has as many locations as top brick-and-mortar retailers like Walmart and Costco, its continued expansion is something to watch. In the meantime, here are the 8 Best Groceries to Buy at Costco Right Now.
To get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – Walmart Is Making Several Major Changes That Will Impact Your Holiday Shopping
- – Trader Joe's Will Not Bring Back These Two Customer Perks As Food Samples Return
- – 10 Costco Finds Customers Are Currently Raving About
- – 4 Beloved Costco Food Court Favorites That Are Now Overrated, Say Members
- – 7 Bacon Brands That Use the Highest Quality Ingredients
- – 5 Worst Salad Dressings for Blood Sugar
- – Major Grocery Chains Are Pulling 24 Cheese Brands From Shelves Due to a Listeria Outbreak
- – What Is the Costco Death Star? And Why You Should Know About It