This Fast-Food Chain Is Linked to 40 Cases of Food Poisoning
Forty people have reported illnesses after eating at an Arby's in Springfield, Ill. since Feb. 15, the Sangamon County Department of Public Health confirmed to two local news stations, NewsChannel 20 and WAND 17.
Officials first visited the Arby's restaurant on Feb. 23 after calls were made to the health department. They then returned on Feb. 24 as the store was closed for deep cleaning. They also visited again the next day, still finding issues, but are still unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the food poisonings. (Related: McDonald's Is Making These 8 Major Upgrades.)
The health and safety violations found on the first visit include: improper temperatures, as some corned beef, turkey, and ham were stored at temperatures around 45-48 degrees Farhenheit when they should be kept at 45 or below; improper date marking was found for brisket, gyro meat, and corned beef that should have been discarded the day before; cleanliness issues, as the top of the oven, which is used to store utensils, was visibly soiled with dust and debris; and management errors.
Even after the deep cleaning on Feb. 24, the department still found temperature issues during a visit the next day as "sauces were observed with internal temperatures of 48-50 degrees in the top of the prep cooler," health officials say. At this time, the investigation is still ongoing.
In other food safety news, the CDC just linked specific Hispanic-style soft, and fresh cheeses to a multi-state Listeria outbreak that sent seven people to the hospital. To get all the latest food safety news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Restaurants
- – 5 Old-School Restaurant Chains That Chefs Miss the Most
- – Dine-In Chains That Serve Surprisingly "Gourmet" Food, According To Chefs
- – McDonald's Is Launching a Giveaway of a Lifetime—Here's How to Enter
- – 17 Discontinued Fast-Food Desserts We Desperately Want Back
- – McDonald's Holiday Pie Is Back at Nationwide Locations
- – 8 Fast-Food Chains That Never Freeze Their Burgers
- – 5 Old-School Chain Restaurant Meals We Can't Get Over, According to Chefs
- – 8 Best Fast-Food Orders for Hangovers