Burger King's Pickle Shortage Delays Rollout of New Chicken Sandwich in This State
New chicken sandwiches are launching across the country this year, but one particular fast-food chain is having trouble rolling out its latest creation in Michigan. Burger King's release of its new and improved chicken sandwich, which was announced in February, has been delayed in the Wolverine state because of a pickle shortage.
The new Crispy Chicken Sandwich is an upgrade to the chain's existing offering, with a new hand-breaded chicken filet as the star of the show. But it's a few slices of deli pickles, which both the classic and spicy versions of the new sandwich are supposed to include, that are holding up the whole operation.
"We have pickles for Whoppers, but these are very special bigger, crunchier, zesty pickles," MacDonald told WOOD-TV. He went on to explain that the problem isn't really the pickles but rather the year-long shortage of canning jars stemming from the pandemic.
"The problem was we couldn't get the pickles, because they couldn't get the jars during the pandemic," he said. "They couldn't make the jars to put the pickles in to get them to us so they couldn't make enough to get them where we needed them."
Based on the popularity of the chicken sandwich in the markets where it has already debuted, the Michigan operator concluded that the pickles on hand wouldn't be enough to cover the impending demand.
As for how Burger King's new sandwich will stack up in the chicken sandwich wars, MacDonald is more than optimistic. "We might be one of the last ones in, but you watch," he said. "We got the best one."
For the latest on chicken sandwich wars, check out The 5 Best-Selling Chicken Sandwiches in America—Revealed. And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get all of the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – McDonald's Is Bringing Back This Highly Anticipated Collaboration
- – 7 Controversial Ads Jack in the Box Doesn't Want You to Remember
- – The #1 Best Meal to Order at Chick-fil-A, Says Dietitian
- – 6 Fast-food Orders To Avoid if You Have High Blood Pressure
- – 9 Burger Chains With the Best Quality Meat in America
- – 5 Most Powerful Fried Chicken Chains Right Now
- – 7 Bizarre Rules That Chick-fil-A Employees Have to Follow
- – 8 Classic Orders You Have To Try at a Steakhouse, According to Chefs