Costco Is Adding This Shopping Perk to Some Locations
Sorry, members: Costco is ending its three-warehouse test of curbside pickup without a national rollout. At least there's still same-day delivery through Instacart! Thankfully, Costco appears to have been quietly adding another convenient way for you to shop without actually having to wander the aisles of your local warehouse.
When it comes to delivery orders, time is often of the essence. So what's not on your to-do list on a busy day? Standing at the window as you wait for a driver or truck to arrive. But maybe you do have time to head to your neighborhood Costco and grab items from a pickup locker. For members near at least one California warehouse, this is now an option.
A Reddit user recently posted about the pickup lockers at the Costco located in Redwood City, Calif. The big, white lockers have eight openings that span across four towers. There's even a screen for selecting orders.
Technically, this isn't the first time that Costco has offered this option to its members. In fact, it ran a 10-store pickup locker test back in 2018, according to S&P Global. Costco Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti detailed the test in December of that year, noting that the lockers would alleviate any customer concerns about purchases potentially being swiped from their doorsteps.
Galanti said the only items that were eligible for locker pickup at the time were pantry products, excluding fresh foods or larger items because "they won't fit a 60-inch television."
It appears as though others warehouses have since obtained the lockers. Reddit user @bardia20 described ordering a laptop online in late 2021. When they tried to pick up the computer at a warehouse in Houston, an employee allegedly said the lockers weren't working.
It isn't clear how many Costco pickup lockers are out there. Eat This, Not That! has reached out to the company for more information.
To get all of the latest Costco news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
For more Costco news, check out:
More content from Groceries
- – 8 Ice Cream Brands That Use the Highest Quality Ingredients
- – Trader Joe's Is Releasing Its Fall Items Soon—Here's How You Can Get Paid $1,000 To Try Them
- – This Massive Drink Recall Was Just Expanded to Include Almost 90 Beverages
- – 8 Chocolate Brands That Use the Highest Quality Ingredients
- – A Tomato Shortage Could Make Pizza, Sauce, and Salsa More Expensive
- – America's Largest Grocery Chain Is Making This Major Change To Its Checkout Lanes
- – This Costco Product Just Beat Out 60+ Others, New Investigation Says
- – 9 Worst Canned Chilis to Always Leave on Grocery Store Shelves