Costco Just Announced It's Backtracking on This Policy
New COVID-19 infections are spiking across the country as the contagious delta variant spreads. It has already forced certain restaurants to reinstate mask mandates regardless of vaccination status—and grocery stores are no different.
Costco quietly announced a few weeks ago that it was ending its special shopping hours on July 26 for those members who are over 60 years old, those with disabilities, and those who are immunocompromised. However, in an update to its Coronavirus Response webpage on July 19, Costco revealed that it's backtracking on its decision.
"Effective July 26, 2021, Costco warehouses in the U.S. and Puerto Rico are open for special operating hours from 9 to 10 a.m., Tuesday and Thursday," the chain says.
"Instead of discontinuing, we'll maintain hours for seniors Tuesdays and Thursdays, until further notice," Richard Galanti, Costco's chief financial officer, also told USA TODAY.
The policy was put into place in March 2020 to allow eligible members to bypass long lines and social distance more effectively while shopping. In the beginning, the special hours were only offered twice a week, but Costco later expanded them to every weekday morning. They were originally set to end in July 2020, but they are once being extended after more than a year.
Several stores have varying special operating hours. These warehouses include:
- Culver City, California: Monday through Friday from 8 to 9 a.m.
- Los Angeles (Los Feliz, Northridge, Pacoima, Van Nuys, and Woodland Hills): Sunday through Friday from 9 to 10 a.m. and Saturdays at 8:30 a.m.
- Richmond, California: Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
- Iwilei (Honolulu), Hawaii: Monday through Friday from 8 to 9 a.m.
To get all the latest Costco news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
For more Costco news, check out:
More content from Groceries
- – ALDI Has Already Announced the Release Date Of Its Most Anticipated Holiday Item
- – This Classic Halloween Candy Was Just Recalled From Grocery Stores in Several States
- – 7 Unhealthy Old-Fashioned Ingredients That No One Uses Anymore
- – 4 Best Gluten Free Crackers To Buy, Say Dietitians
- – Butter, Margarine, Ghee, or Vegan Butter—Which Is Healthier?
- – Purchase Limits and Empty Shelves Are Back at Grocery Stores In This Coastal Area
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say
- – This Beloved Grocery Chain Is Cutting the Prices Of More Than 100 Items