Taco Bell Is Finally Launching This Long-Awaited Chicken Sandwich Nationwide
Taco Bell dipped its toes into the chicken sandwich wars in February when they began testing a chicken sandwich-taco hybrid that was unlike any other chicken item in the market. The unique sandwich was available in select markets only, but it was just a matter of time before it went national.
Finally, that day is on the horizon—starting on September 2, Taco Bell's Crispy Chicken Sandwich Taco will be available to all, no matter what part of the country they live in. Can't wait that long? You can get early access to the item on August 30 via Taco Bell's app.
One of the most intriguing features of this sandwich is that it's really hard to tell what exactly it is. It has the appearance of a classic taco, but the elements of a traditional chicken sandwich. It's made of premium all-white-meat crispy chicken, which is first marinated in jalapeño buttermilk, then seasoned with bold Mexican spices and rolled in a crunchy tortilla chip coating. But instead of a straight-forward sandwich bun, the chicken is nestled in a puffy bread shaped like a taco, atop a slather of the chain's signature creamy chipotle sauce. The spicy version will also feature jalapeño slices for added heat.
So to settle on the true identity of this sandwich, Taco Bell is enlisting the help of two college debate teams. On September 4 debate teams from the University of Georgia and Clemson University will go head to head in a "Great Crispy Chicken Sandwich Taco Debate," slated to air that Saturday during the Georgia vs Clemson primetime college football game on ABC (7:30 p.m. ET), via several short ad spots.
"Our new crispy chicken innovation is far from the average chicken sandwich, and we're certain it will get a spicy reaction from sandwich and taco fans alike," said Liz Matthews, Taco Bell's Global Chief Food Innovation Officer. "Even the masterminds from our test kitchen couldn't decide if it was more taco or sandwich, which is why we're excited to bring in the debate team experts to have some fun."
For more, check out:
- Taco Bell Is Opening This Revolutionary New Restaurant
- Is Taco Bell's Most Popular Discontinued Item Coming Back?
- 7 Fan-Favorite Menu Items Restaurant Chains Are Bringing Back Right Now
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 6 Fast-Food Orders To Avoid If You Have High Blood Sugar
- – 8 Chefs' Tips for Ordering the Best Meal at a Steakhouse
- – A Leaked Wendy's Memo Reveals the Next Big Menu Launch Scheduled for This Fall
- – 8 Fast-Food Sandwiches To Stay Away From Right Now, According to RDs
- – 8 Secrets Texas Roadhouse Employees Don't Want You to Know
- – The Latest Changes at America's Largest Coffee Chain Seem to Be Designed to Turn Customers Away
- – Taco Bell Will Be Testing Its Next Major Menu Innovation Next Month
- – This Fast-Casual Burger Chain Is Opening Dozens of New Locations