Former Walmart CEO Says Shortages Are Unlike Anything He's Ever Seen
If you're planning a holiday feast, you may want to start grocery shopping now. That's because grocery stores across the country are seeing epic shortages of food items like meat, packaged snacks, dairy products, and coffee, and they're expected to remain in short supply at least through the holidays.
With Walmart being one of the largest retailers facing this crisis, Fox News talked with former Walmart President and CEO Bill Simon in a video interview earlier today, to find out what he believes needs to be done to get groceries back on shelves as quickly as possible.
Simon tells Fox, "I've never seen it like this and I don't really think anybody living in this country has. This is really unprecedented."
Many people are now left wondering how something like this could happen, especially almost two years since the COVID pandemic first began, and if there's anything that can be done to fix it.
In regards to where this issue stems from, Simon tells Fox: "The supply chain is a mess from start to finish, they're backed up in the ports in Asia, they're backed up on the water, they're backed up at the ports in the US, there's a shortage of truck drivers, there's a shortage of labor in our distribution system, and there's a shortage of people to put it on the shelf."
When asked what he believes is the easiest of these issues to solve right now, Simon responded with, "Well, the easiest would be to get more labor…I mean, it's a difficult thing in the environment that we're operating in, but I don't think this gets solved until we alleviate the labor shortage that's out there."
For more on what's happening at your local grocery store, read these next:
More content from Groceries
- – 7 Strict Rules Trader Joe's Employees Have to Follow
- – Walmart Is Making Several Major Changes That Will Impact Your Holiday Shopping
- – Trader Joe's Will Not Bring Back These Two Customer Perks As Food Samples Return
- – 10 Costco Finds Customers Are Currently Raving About
- – 4 Beloved Costco Food Court Favorites That Are Now Overrated, Say Members
- – 7 Bacon Brands That Use the Highest Quality Ingredients
- – 5 Worst Salad Dressings for Blood Sugar
- – Major Grocery Chains Are Pulling 24 Cheese Brands From Shelves Due to a Listeria Outbreak