Texans Are Relying on This Beloved Grocery Store After Storms
Strong winter storms brought freezing temperatures, ice, and snow last week to the Midwest and Southeast. Subsequent power outages forced many stores in the regions to close, including hundreds of Walmart locations.
In Texas, one supermarket chain was able to provide local residents with a steady source of calm. In business since 1905, H-E-B has more than 340 stores across Texas and northeast Mexico. Locals haven't only flocked to the San Antonio-based chain in recent times of struggle—they've done so so for more than a century, according to The New York Times. (Related: Grocery Shortages To Expect in 2021, According to Experts.)
Though some stores were forced to close because of power and water outages, most had reopened by Feb. 22 with additional services to help customers to get back on their feet, H-E-B announced.
"It's like H-E-B is the moral center of Texas," Stephen Harrigan, an Austin-based journalist and novelist, told The Times. "There seems to be in our state a lack of real leadership, a lack of real efficiency, on the political level. But on the business level, when it comes to a grocery store, all of those things are in place."
"It just feels like when I go into an H-E-B store, they're trying to figure out how to make my life wonderful," Leigh McAlister, marketing professor at the University of Texas and author of Grocery Revolution, added. "That's what we've come to expect of H-E-B. It's from the heart, and they're good at logistics. If their Texans need water, they can get it to them, because it's their Texans who are thirsty."
It may come as no surprise then that H-E-B landed on one recent list of the top stores to buy groceries in America amid a global pandemic. In fact, it was only beaten out by one other chain. To get all the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – 26 Items Costco Is Discontinuing Right Now
- – 7 Strict Rules Trader Joe's Employees Have to Follow
- – Walmart Is Making Several Major Changes That Will Impact Your Holiday Shopping
- – Trader Joe's Will Not Bring Back These Two Customer Perks As Food Samples Return
- – 10 Costco Finds Customers Are Currently Raving About
- – 4 Beloved Costco Food Court Favorites That Are Now Overrated, Say Members
- – Major Grocery Chains Are Pulling 24 Cheese Brands From Shelves Due to a Listeria Outbreak
- – What Is the Costco Death Star? And Why You Should Know About It