Almost 100 Types of Ice Cream Are Being Recalled, FDA Says
More than 95 types of Velvet Ice Cream are the subject of a new voluntary recall because they could potentially be contaminated with Listeria, according to a company announcement posted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The impacted ice cream was made and distributed on or after March 24, 2021. It was sent to supermarkets, drug stores, and convenience stores in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia. Routine testing found the issue, prompting the recall. (Related: The 7 Healthiest Foods to Eat Right Now)
Brands included on the list are Buehler's, North Star, Super Dip, Velvet, and more. They come in various types of packaging—to see a full list of items, what they look like, and their product codes, visit the FDA's website.
"We're conducting this voluntary recall in cooperation with the FDA out of consideration for the wellbeing and safety of our customers and consumers," Luconda Dager, the CEO of Velvet Ice Cream, said in the announcement. "We continue to be committed to serving consumers with high-quality ice cream and sherbet products."
Listeria bacteria can survive on food products after refrigeration and freezing. Symptoms of an infection include chills, diarrhea, fever, muscle aches, and nausea. It can also infect the nervous system, causing a stiff neck, headaches, convulsions, confusion, or loss of balance. Though symptoms may develop sooner, it could take 30 days or more for them to begin. Infections are very serious for pregnant women, individuals ages 65 and older, and people with weakened immune systems, according to The Mayo Clinic.
For information on how to keep yourself and your family safe against any potential food recalls and everyday bacteria that can live on surfaces, follow these two steps to sanitize your kitchen. And to get all of the latest recall news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – This Beloved Grocery Chain Is Cutting the Prices Of More Than 100 Items
- – Butter Boards Are Everywhere, But a Major Ingredient Shortage May Soon Dampen the Trend
- – 9 Secrets You Never Knew About Hershey's
- – 6 Store-Bought Salsas With The Highest Quality Ingredients
- – 5 Truths About the Meat Industry That Will Make You Lose Your Appetite
- – 5 Pre-Packaged Meats To Stay Away From Right Now
- – 10 Ice Cream Brands That Use the Lowest Quality Ingredients
- – Here's What Costco Just Said About Membership Fee Increases