McDonald's Cancels a Major Release, Disappointing Customers
Collaborations with celebrities have proven to be a big success for McDonald's. Some locations ran out of Quarter Pounder ingredients in September amid the fast-food chain's multi-million-dollar Travis Scott partnership. Riding high on that win, McDonald's quickly announced another star-powered deal with J Balvin—the Colombian artist often referred to as the "Prince of Reggaeton."
The collaboration kicked off with a J Balvin-branded meal consisting of a Big Mac without pickles, medium fries with ketchup, and an Oreo McFlurry—the singer's signature order. To boot, McDonald's announced an exclusive, limited-edition line of merchandise designed by the singer, which was sold on his website. It featured items designed to fuse his favorite colors with "his love of McDonald's food." (Related: McDonald's Is Making These 8 Major Upgrades.)
But the ambitious line of bucket hats, chairs, hoodies, rings, shirts, slippers, sweaters, watches, and even temporary tattoos will never see the light of day, according to a new report by Business Insider. As confirmed by the singer's team, the merchandise line was canceled due to "production issues"—a rare hiccup for McDonald's.
Fans who pre-ordered the merchandise will get a small consolation prize with their refund: a beanie and a note from J Balvin. Still, many quickly expressed their disappointment on Twitter.
Hang in there, merch-heads—we're sure McDonald's will announce another celebrity collaboration soon enough. In the meantime, don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – McDonald's Holiday Pie Is Back at Nationwide Locations
- – 8 Fast-Food Chains That Never Freeze Their Burgers
- – 5 Old-School Chain Restaurant Meals We Can't Get Over, According to Chefs
- – 8 Best Fast-Food Orders for Hangovers
- – 9 Secrets You Should Know About LongHorn Steakhouse
- – 10 Best Chain Restaurant Deals and Freebies You Can Score On Black Friday
- – 8 Fast-Food Chains That Use the Highest Quality Meat
- – 11 Restaurant Chains Open on Thanksgiving Day