Pizza Hut Just Announced the Return of This Popular Sold-Out Pizza
Back in January, Pizza Hut launched a limited-edition pizza that was so popular, it ended up selling out faster than the company expected. (However, the item didn't come without a side of controversy.) Now, in a move they haven't made in over a decade, the chain is bringing back the limited-time offer only several months after it has left the menu.
If you're a true fan of the Hut, you probably guessed we're talking about Pizza Hut's Detroit-Style Pizzas, the rectangular, thick, and fluffy pies that originated in Michigan and represent a staple of American regional pizza trends.
"Detroit-Style was a hit from the moment it launched," said David Graves, general manager of Pizza Hut. "Once it sold out, our customers have been asking for it back. This is actually the fastest we've brought back a pizza in over 10 years."
The chain said it had spent a full year developing the new pizza, which went through more than 500 iterations until the current version was achieved. And it sounds like customers could taste the finesse—Pizza Hut had to stop advertising the item nearly two weeks earlier than planned because it was already selling out in some parts of the country. The company is also taking credit for the spike in Google searches for the phrase "Detroit style pizza" which coincided with the pie's launch.
What's so special about this pizza? Let's just say the cheese on it stretches all the way to the edges, which yields an impossibly caramelized and crispy crust. The sauce comes on top and gets layered over the cheese and additional toppings. This keeps the crust as airy and soft as possible—a characteristic which Detroit-style pie draws from its Sicilian roots.
Pizza Hut's Detroit-Style is now back on the menu in its three original flavors—Double Pepperoni (by far the most popular one), Meaty Deluxe, and Supremo—and this time around, the chain is also adding the option of customizing your pizza to your liking with up to five of your favorite toppings.
The item will be available to Hut Rewards members starting today, which is one day ahead of its nationwide launch on August 25.
For more, check out:
- Papa John's Is Bringing Back This Super Popular Pizza Tomorrow
- This American Pizza Chain Is Now Officially the Largest One In the World
- This National Pizza Chain Just Launched a Game-Changing New Cheesy Bread
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – These Fast-Food Chains Were Just Voted Top Food Destinations for Travelers
- – 9 Secrets Krispy Kreme Doesn't Want You to Know
- – 25 Low-Calorie Restaurant Meals Under 500 Calories
- – The #1 Best Meal To Order at Arby's, Says Dietitian
- – 6 Once-Popular Burger Chains That Are Currently Shrinking
- – This Popular Restaurant Chain Temporarily Shuttered 40 Locations In the Past Week
- – Burger King Is Launching a Brand New Whopper That Will Make Your Eyes Water
- – 4 Once-Popular Sandwich Chains Customers Have Soured On