This Popular Fast-Food Chain Has Closed the Most Locations
Since the start of the pandemic, the United States has lost almost 18,000 food establishments, according to the latest data published by Datassential. That's over 10% of all restaurants in the United States that have been permanently removed from Americans' dine-in and takeout options.
While fast-food operators weathered the pandemic with the fewest number of closures across the restaurant industry, there are some chains that have shuttered a staggering number of locations since March 2020.
According to Business Insider, Subway had by far closed the greatest number of locations among large fast-food chains, reporting 1,557 fewer stores than a year ago, amounting to a 6.6% net loss. However, this number is lower than some earlier predictions which said the sandwich giant may have closed between 2,200 and 2,400 stores in 2020, which would have been 10% of its footprint. The chain refused to provide the exact number of closures at the time but said the number was lower than the estimate.
"Subway does not disclose this information, but we can tell you that the figure you provided is not accurate," the company said in an emailed statement to Restaurant Business. "The number of permanent closures in 2020 is lower than your estimate, as there are temporary closures due to COVID."
But Subway isn't the only chain that lost a significant number of stores. Dunkin' reported the second-highest number of closures at 559 net, Burger King closed 319 locations, while McDonald's closed 173. Little Caesars was one of the few pizza chains that closed a significant number of locations at 120, according to the report.
For more on the latest fast-food trends, check out 9 Best Limited-Time Fast Foods on Menus Right Now, and don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 4 Once-Popular Sandwich Chains Customers Have Soured On
- – 8 Secrets Outback Steakhouse Doesn't Want You to Know
- – 9 Fast-Food Breakfasts To Stay Away From Right Now
- – This Popular Pizza Chain Is Launching Its First-Ever Burger
- – 12 Worst Steakhouse Sides to Stay Away From Right Now
- – America's Favorite Pasta Chain Is Bringing Back This Iconic Deal
- – This New Texas Roadhouse Product Sold Out in Minutes—Here's How to Get It
- – This Sandwich Chain Has Gone From Struggling To Growing With 19 New Locations