Check Your Fridge for These Recalled Meats ASAP
Alexander & Hornung, a Michigan-based unit of Perdue Premium Meat Co., Inc. has initiated a recall of more than 234,000 pounds of processed meat products due to the possibility of listeria contamination.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), the recall applies to 17 products displaying the establishment number "EST. M10125" inside the USDA mark of inspection. This includes brands such as Alexander & Hornung, Big Y, Butcher Boy, Five Star, Food Club, Garrett Valley Farms, Niman Ranch, Open Nature, and Wellshire Wood. See the full list of brands involved here.
Although there have been no reported illnesses or complaints associated with the meat items and there is no conclusive evidence that the products were contaminated at the time of shipment, Alexander & Hornung initiated the recall "out of an abundance of caution," according to a company statement.
The items were shipped to retail locations nationwide and have sell-by dates between December 2021 and May 2022.
The FSIS wrote in its notice posted on Sunday that it's "concerned that some products may be in consumers' refrigerators or freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them."
Foods contaminated with listeria can cause listeriosis, an infection that primarily affects older adults, those with compromised immune systems, pregnant women, and newborns, according to the FSIS. Symptoms can include fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, and confusion, sometimes preceded by gastrointestinal issues.
If you've purchased any of the recalled meat products, the FSIS advises you to throw them away or return them to the place of purchase.
If you have any additional questions related to the recall, call the Alexander & Hornung Consumer Hotline at 1-866-866-3703 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. EST.
For more on what's happening in the grocery stores near you, read these next:
More content from Groceries
- – Walmart, Publix, and Other Grocery Stores Sold This Potentially Dangerous Kid's Drink
- – 20 Worst Kitchen Gadgets to Ever Be Invented
- – Coca-Cola's Newest Soda Just Launched But The Flavor Remains A Mystery
- – Over 13,000 Pounds of This Popular Frozen Pizza Is Being Recalled Because of a Serious Contamination
- – 5 Non-Dairy Milks To Leave on Grocery Store Shelves Right Now
- – The 6 Worst Frozen Dinners To Stay Away From Right Now
- – Trader Joe's Abruptly Closes This Extremely Popular Store
- – Costco Bakery Has Just Brought Back This Beloved Fall Item