7 Signs You May Have Lung Cancer, Like Bob Dole
Pain Areas: In the Chest or Rib
"Lung cancer is the second most common cancer in the United States. One of the symptoms of lung cancer is rib cage pain or chest pain that gets worse upon breathing deeply, coughing, or laughing," reports Medical News Today. "Other symptoms to look out for include coughing up blood or phlegm, shortness of breath, and wheezing."
Pain Types: Can Be Dull or Sharp
"In lung cancer patients, acute pain is often felt in the chest and lumbar (lower back) regions of the body," reports LungCancer.net. "Approximately 20% of patients with lung cancer present with chest pain at diagnosis, and pain increases in severity as lung cancer advances, with patients at later stages of the disease experiencing more pain."
Pain Circumstances: Can Occur While Breathing
Cough: Can Be Chronic, Dry, With Phlegm, Severe, or With Blood
"The early symptoms of lung cancer may be a slight cough or shortness of breath, depending on which part of the lung is affected. As the cancer develops, these symptoms may become more severe or intense. Like many other types of cancer, lung cancer may also cause systemic symptoms, like loss of appetite or general fatigue."
Respiratory: Frequent Respiratory Infections, Shortness of Breath, or Wheezing
"Lung tumors can block the airway, causing frequent infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia," reports Johns Hopkins. Coughing up blood can happen, too. "Even if it's just a small amount of blood, coughing up blood or bloody mucus is a reason to call your doctor."
Whole Body: Fatigue or Loss of Appetite
"Rest or sleep does not relieve fatigue, and fatigue can occur both as a consequence of lung cancer and as a side effect of lung cancer treatment. In some people, fatigue is an early symptom of the presence of lung cancer," reports LungCancer.net. "It is experienced by nearly all patients who undergo treatment for cancer: up to 90% of patients treated with radiation therapy and up to 80% of patients treated with chemotherapy report experiencing fatigue."
Other Common Lung Cancer Symptoms
"Chest pressure, hoarseness, swollen lymph nodes, weakness, or weight loss" are other signs of lung cancer, according to the Mayo Clinic. If you experience those or any of the other issues listed here, please contact a medical professional immediately. And to get through this pandemic at your healthiest, don't miss these 35 Places You're Most Likely to Catch COVID.
More content from ETNT Health
- – Most People Feel These Symptoms With "Deadly Cancer," Including Headache or Abdominal Pain
- – Proven Anti-Aging Tips from the World's Best Experts Include Hydrated Skin and Positive Outlook
- – Queen Elizabeth Had Cancer Before She Died, Book Claims. Here are the Symptoms of Myeloma.
- – These Heart Symptoms, Including Swelling, Can Appear Early. Catch Them Fast to Live a Longer Life.
- – What is Inflammation? Two Immunologists Explain How Your Body Responds to Vaccines and Stings
- – Vitamin B-12 Deficiency is a Common Health Problem That Can Have Serious Consequences
- – I am a Doctor and Wish Everyone Over 60 Knew These Life-Saving Tips
- – Here's Exactly How Much Vitamin D is Safe, as Man Hospitalized With Intoxication