This Unexpected State Has the Most Fast-Food Restaurants In America
The state of Hawaii ranks 40th in terms of population, with about 1,416,000 residents, according to the United States Census Bureau. It comes in 43rd in terms of total square mileage, a number which includes some 4,500 square miles of water. And having been granted statehood in 1959, it is the 50th state to have joined the Union.
But there is one unexpected distinction for which the Aloha State currently holds the number one spot: the state has far and away the highest number of fast food restaurants per capita, according to data assembled by NiceRX.com. (Related: 8 Grocery Items That May Soon Be in Short Supply.)
Hawaii has 97.5 fast food locations per 100,000 residents, which translates to one McDonald's, Subway, Taco Bell, or other fast food outlet per every 1,025 people who live in Hawaii. Only one other state comes even close to the same concentration of fast food spots, and that's New York. The Empire State has 92.3 fast restaurants per 100,000 residents.
Averaged together, most states have closer to 80 fast food restaurants per 100,000 residents, while the only other noncontiguous state, Alaska, ranks the lowest in fast food locations per capita, with just under 62 fast food locations per 100,000 Alaskans.
Part of the reason Hawaii tops the list are its high concentrations of certain fast-food brands but also a wide variety of others which are present in smaller numbers. By contrast, most other states have a high concentration of some chains but few or even zero locations of others (several states lack even a single Dunkin' location, for example).
So what are the most common fast food chains you'll come across in Hawaii? Subway holds the #1 spot, followed closely by Starbucks and McDonald's.
Interestingly, Hawaii has a low prevalence of obesity compared to the rest of the United States, according to America's Health Rankings for 2020. It may be that those fast-food restaurants are primarily there for the tourists.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – The 9 Best Restaurant Chains To Visit For Happy Hour
- – Starbucks' New Digital Tipping System Slammed by Customers and Baristas Alike
- – 9 Healthiest Fast-Food Breakfasts, According to Dietitians
- – 5 Fast-Food Add-Ons That Are Never Worth Your Money, According to Experts
- – 41-Year-Old Pizza Chain Bertucci's Goes Bankrupt For the Second Time
- – Outback Is Giving Away Free Bloomin' Onions, Thanks To a New Netflix Murder Mystery
- – Would You Spend $65 on One Pizza? Cici's Thinks Its New "Piezilla" Is Worth It
- – 5 Fast-Food Chains That Use Fresh-Cut Potatoes for Their Fries