This State Is the Most Obsessed With Starbucks, Data Reveals
As of late August, there are 14,944 Starbucks locations operating in the U.S. And given our current population, the number makes for a national average of one Starbucks for every 22,313 people. But depending on where in America you go, both the per capita saturation and Starbucks unit counts can vary significantly. That's because some states have a huge number of Starbucks outlets, while others have bewilderingly few. However, one state, in particular, leads the pack with its Starbucks obsession.
According to data sourced from VinePair, California is the state with the greatest number of Starbucks stores by far. Currently, the Golden State has 2,959 locations, while the next highest count of 1,215 locations, which is found in Texas, doesn't even come close. In fact, Califonia has about double the number of Starbucks locations per capita compared to the national average—one Starbucks for every 13,349 Californians.
Florida comes in third, with 786 Starbucks stores, followed by Washington, the state in which the chain was founded 50 years ago this year. New York takes fifth place with 643 Starbucks units.
On the other end of the spectrum are five states with the fewest Starbucks locations. Maine and South Dakota are currently tied for the fourth-place slot, with 31 units each, with Wyoming coming in next at just 26 locations, while North Dakota has only 20 outlets. Finally, there is Vermont, a state known for its resistance to massive fast-food chain expansions, which has but 12 Starbucks coffee shops in all. The East Coast state has but one Starbucks for every 54,046 people—far below the national average.
For more, check out:
- The Most Popular Pizza Chain in Every State, New Data Shows
- The Best Nachos in Every State
- McDonald's and Starbucks Just Made This Major Policy Change
And don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – Taco Bell Will Bring Back One Highly Requested Discontinued Item—and You Get To Choose Which One
- – America's Largest Sandwich Chain Is Facing a Shortage of This Menu Staple, Insiders Claim
- – These Struggling Pizza Chains Are on a Major Rebound
- – Best Starbucks Fall Drinks to Order Right Now (& Which to Skip)
- – 6 Fast-Food Orders To Avoid If You Have High Blood Sugar
- – Are PSLs Dying? I Wanted to Try 5, but Could Only Find These 3
- – 8 Chefs' Tips for Ordering the Best Meal at a Steakhouse
- – A Leaked Wendy's Memo Reveals the Next Big Menu Launch Scheduled for This Fall