Eating More of This Nutrient Can Reduce Your Kidney Disease Risk, New Study Says
Not everyone counts their macros to a T, and that's OK—but a new study has found that increasing one basic nutrient in your diet can be a simple way to help you steer clear of something as painful as kidney disease.
We all know it's important to get enough nutrients like healthy fats, complex carbohydrates, and lean proteins in our diet each day. We're also aware that not making this a priority can lead to pretty serious problems for our health—especially our key organs that handle some of the body's most important functions.
RELATED: 7 Healthiest Foods To Eat Right Now
A new study out of Seoul National University College of Medicine was published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition after looking at the ratios of calories from the macronutrients participants consumed. The researchers' goal was to identify a healthy diet balance that can prevent chronic kidney disease.
The study utilized data from 567,000 participants and established a baseline macronutrient ratio at 50% carbohydrates, 35% fats, and 15% protein. They found that, as the study abstract states, higher relative protein intake in subjects with normal kidney function was significantly associated with a lower risk of incident of chronic kidney disease and end-stage kidney disease. Conversely, individuals with higher fat intake also had a higher risk of impaired kidney function.
Sign up for the Eat This, Not That! newsletter for the nutrition news you need each day.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – The Green Mediterranean Diet Can Help Reduce Even More Visceral Fat, Study Says
- – 7 Brain-Boosting Breakfast Foods To Eat for a Focused Day
- – Suffer From Migraines? New Study Says Your Eating Habits May Be To Blame
- – Eating More Omega-3s Can Improve Cognitive Function, Study Says
- – 6 Foods To Avoid When You Have a Sore Throat
- – Is Sourdough Actually Healthier Than Regular Bread?
- – The Mediterranean Diet May Offer Long-term Health Results for MS, Says Science
- – 5 Best Superfoods That Support Liver Health