Taco Bell's New Plant-Based Meat Is Here
Taco Bell is slowly but surely making good on their promise to expand vegetarian menu options this year. After reinstituting potatoes, which are a popular vegetarian substitution for protein in their items, the chain is already testing their new plant-based protein which was announced as being in development earlier this year.
According to a press release, the chain's first proprietary plant-based protein is a boldly spiced concoction made from a blend of peas and chickpeas, which is currently being tested in a new Cravetarian Taco (which rhymes with "vegetarian"). The taco itself is similar to the Crunchy Taco Supreme and includes shredded cheddar cheese, crisp lettuce, diced tomatoes, and reduced-fat sour cream, served in a crunchy corn shell. So now even vegetarians can enjoy Taco Bell's classic items without sacrificing any of that signature flavor. Not to mention, this option is about 10 calories lighter than the one including beef.
And vegans can rejoice as well—the new protein is certified vegan by the American Vegetarian Association, which opens up a whole new world of options for vegan menu customizations.
The only negative side is that the new plant-based protein and the Cravetarian Taco are currently only being tested at a single Taco Bell location in Tustin, Calif., and will be gone after April 29. But rest assured, the chain will likely roll the new vegan protein nationwide soon enough. For more on Taco Bell's menu, check out The Best & Worst Menu Items at Taco Bell, According to an RD, and don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – 6 Pizza Chains With the Most Food Quality Complaints
- – 4 Just-Launched Taco Bell Items You Can Try Right Now
- – Taco Bell Is Testing This Crazy New Snack Food Hybrid
- – 5 Truths About the Fast-Food Industry That Will Make You Lose Your Appetite
- – McDonald's Latest Drive-Thru Innovation Could Soon Be Added to More Locations
- – 5 Fast-Food Chains Most Criticized By Customers
- – Chick-fil-A Just Unveiled a Solution To Its Ongoing Drive-Thru Issues
- – Burger King Is Launching Two Major New Burgers