At Least 21 People Are Sick After Eating This Trader Joe's Item, CDC Says
Twenty-one people have been confirmed sick from Salmonella after eating Citterio brand salami sticks, according to a food safety warning from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The salami sticks are commonly sold in Trader Joe's and Wegmans grocery stores but they may be in other retailers as well.
So far, the illnesses span across eight states: California, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, and Kansas. Six people have been hospitalized since the outbreak began in September. However, the CDC warned that the true number of people impacted is likely higher because many people recover from Salmonella without medical intervention and never get tested.
The CDC connected the outbreak to Citterio brand salami sticks after interviewing people confirmed sick with Salmonella. Of the 15 people interviewed, all but one reported having consumed or possibly consumed the salami.
Common symptoms of Salmonella are a fever, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. The CDC recommends that people call their healthcare provider if they think they are experiencing severe Salmonella symptoms.
The CDC warns grocers like Trader Joe's not to sell the salami snacks as a result of the outbreak. Additionally, consumers are encouraged to throw away all Citterio salami sticks regardless of the sell-by date and to wash items and containers that came in contact with the product.
For more info about grocery store foods, read these next:
- Walmart Is Recalling This Item After Two Deaths Were Reported
- 20 Ways Your Grocery Store Makes You Sick
- These Four Foods Are Being Recalled Due to Contamination
- This Restaurant-Related Salmonella Outbreak Keeps Getting Worse and Spreading to More States
And to get all the latest food safety news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – The 7 Craziest Food Lawsuits of 2022, From Velveeta to Pop-Tarts
- – Reminder: You're Buying Things at Costco That You Don't Need
- – Trader Joe's Ranks Highest for "Brand Intimacy," New Study Says—But What is That?
- – Enoki Mushroom Is the Most Recalled Food Of the Year
- – 34 Items Costco Is Discontinuing This Winter
- – 4 Biggest Complaints Costco Customers Are Voicing Right Now
- – Costco Shoppers Are Going Crazy for This Frozen Pizza
- – Costco Just Brought Back Its Wagyu Beef—and Shoppers Have Mixed Feelings