You Won't Need Your Wallet to Shop at This Grocery Chain Anymore
There's no dread quite like what you feel when you finally get to the checkout line at the grocery store, and you realize you don't have your wallet. Mobile pay has made things a little easier if that happens, but what if you also forgot your phone? If you're in a Whole Foods store, there's no need to worry—you can now pay using your palm.
One Whole Foods location near Amazon's Seattle headquarters is already using the Amazon One technology that allows customers to link a credit card to their palm print, according to Reuters. The innovation isn't new—some parts of the technology are already in use at Amazon Books and Go stores. But it's the first time it's being used in a grocery setting, and seven additional locations in the metro area are reportedly set to adopt the technology in the months ahead. (Related: This Is the Best Supermarket in America, New Survey Says)
Amazon has faced criticism over cashier-less technology because of its possible impact on jobs, per Reuters. Even if you pay with your palm at check out, an employee will still need to scan each item, meaning jobs won't be impacted, the company told the outlet.
The new technology is already being used in Amazon brick-and-mortar stores, and it's not the only digital aspect of the shopping experience. You'll find Ask Alexa stations, digital price tags, smart Dash carts, and more as you shop. Haven't been to one yet? Well, 30 more are set to opening this year.
To get all of the latest grocery store news delivered right to your email inbox every day, sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Groceries
- – What Is the Costco Death Star? And Why You Should Know About It
- – 19 Best Spicy Snacks To Try if You Love Hot Stuff
- – 6 Yogurts Made With the Lowest Quality Ingredients
- – 11 Regional Costco Finds Your Location May Be Missing
- – 5 Pastas Made With the Highest Quality Ingredients
- – This Brand-New Purple Fruit Could Land at Your Supermarket Next Year
- – Walmart's Latest Move Will Speed Up Delivery If You Live in These States
- – This New Costco Dessert Is Making Cookie Lovers Swoon