The #1 Worst Eating Habit for Your Health, New Study Suggests
It can sometimes be difficult to fit nutritious meals into your busy day, especially if you happen to work late hours. However, it turns out that eating at night could be seriously bad for your health.
"This study reinforces the notion that when you eat matters for determining health outcomes such as blood sugar levels, which are relevant for night workers as they typically eat at night while on shift," study co-leader Sarah L. Chellappa, M.D., PhD., said in a news release.
If you at night, there are a few things at play that can affect your glucose levels, Lisa Young, PhD, RDN, adjunct professor of nutrition at NYU and author of Finally Full, Finally Slim, said in an interview.
"One is that you eat extra calories, and these are generally in the form of easy-to-grab ultra-processed foods high in sugar and salt," Young, who is also a member of the Eat This, Not That! Medical Expert Board, added. "You also don't have the chance to burn off the calories as you go to bed, so it's easy to lead to weight gain, too."
When it comes to changing your eating habits for the better, Morgyn Clair, MS, RDN, noted that "setting up a day-time routine is one of the most important first steps when someone is starting a healthy eating journey." Clair, who is also a writer at Fit Healthy Momma, added that people should "avoid erratic eating times and set up a consistent schedule that works for them."
More stories at the intersection of food and sleep:
- 7 Diet Changes You Can Make Now to Sleep Better Tonight
- Surprising Side Effects of Eating Before Bedtime, Say Dietitians
- Not Getting Enough Sleep May Have This Negative Effect on Your Snacking Habits
To get all of the latest news delivered straight to your email inbox every day, don't forget to sign up for our newsletter!
More content from Healthy Eating
- – 7 Kitchen Gadgets That Make Cutting Vegetables Faster and Easier
- – 7 Ingredients You Should Never Add to a Casserole
- – 6 Canned Soups With the Lowest Quality Ingredients
- – The Absolute Best Way To Marinate Chicken, According to a Chef
- – The 9 Kitchen Tools Every Beginner Cook Needs
- – 4 Best Gluten Free Crackers To Buy, Say Dietitians
- – Butter, Margarine, Ghee, or Vegan Butter—Which Is Healthier?
- – The Best Yogurt To Lower Your Cholesterol, Dietitians Say