This One Thing Makes You 3x More Likely to Die From COVID-19
Information about both the susceptibility and effects of coronavirus continues to emerge, as epidemiologists and medical experts are learning about the deadly COVID-19 contagion. A family physician who focuses on nutrition and healthy living has revealed a rather stunning statistic about who is most vulnerable to the virus.
We've long known that those with compromised immune systems or pre-existing conditions are particularly vulnerable, but being dangerously overweight raises your risk for death three times.
Yes, of course, obesity is bad for your health. But now, it's much more so during this very dangerous COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. Mark Hyman revealed this alarming finding in a recent blog post. Dr. Hyman wrote:
Those with a chronic disease are almost 10 times as likely to die. Those with obesity are almost 3 times more likely to die. Now, more than ever, it is critical for our population to focus on their own health and use food as medicine to bolster their own health and thereby reduce the overall burden on your health care system which is already buckling under the burden of COVID-19 layered on top of chronic disease, which affects 6 out of 10 Americans.
That's right, 60% of all Americans technically have a body mass index (BMI) of over 30%, which is the medical level that signifies obesity. Roughly a third of those 78 million obese U.S. citizens have a BMI of over 40%, which classifies them as morbidly obese, putting much greater stress on their vital organs (regardless of a potential battle with COVID-19).
Staying healthy during stay-at-home orders and self-quarantine has become a real challenge, as is showing discipline in what food and drink you're eating.
Reports of record sales of alcohol, snacks, and packaged foods have abounded over the past month. But, according to Dr. Hyman, there has never been a more critical time to focus on healthy living and eating.
More content from Weight Loss
- – This Diet Helped People Lose 13 Pounds in 4 Months, Finds New Study
- – Over 6,000 People Who Lost 50 Pounds Agree These 4 Steps Work
- – 19 Weight Loss Foods That Really Work, Say Experts
- – This Popular Diet Doesn't Actually Work, Says New Study
- – The #1 Eating Habit for Fast Weight Loss, Suggests New Study
- – These Snacks Can Prevent Abdominal Fat As You Age, New Study Says
- – The Worst Eating Habit for Losing Weight As You Age, Says New Report
- – The #1 Best Leafy Green for Weight Loss, Dietitian Says