A Freak Accident in Italy Had Red Wine Spewing From People's Faucets
Nearly 17 million people in Italy are under quarantine as of Sunday, March 8, due to the rampant spread of coronavirus. However, Northern Italy recently made headlines for another reason: red wine was spewing from faucets.
Last Wednesday, a few residents in Castelvetro, a small town just 10 miles south of Modena, went to wash their hands in the sink or take a shower. They were shocked when red wine began flowing from the faucets and showerheads. Basically… a dream come true?
According to CNN, Cantina Settecani winery was getting ready to bottle its Lambrusco Grasparossa (a sparkling red wine native to the Emilia-Romagna region in Northern Italy), but a faulty valve in the washing circuit caused 1,000 liters of the wine to leak into the town's water pipes. Only 20 homes were affected and it only lasted for about three hours, but still. It was pretty awesome.
Imagine having your pals over for a glass of wine and all you had to do was turn on the sink faucet? The quirky event occurred during a time when Northern Italy arguably needed a bit of humor moreso than most places. Amid the COVID-19 epidemic, free red wine was just what the town needed.
And yesterday we really laughed. We all needed to laugh. A day to remember. Wine is always the answer#wine #castelvetrodimodena #castelvetro #grasparossa #cantinasettecani #lambrusco pic.twitter.com/nOFT3WmA2R
— Giorgia Mezzacqui (@GMezzacqui) March 5, 2020
As of now, 7,375 people in Italy have been confirmed of having coronavirus. Since the outbreak, Deputy Mayor Mezzacqui of Castelvetro said in a statement that some 80 percent of tourism structures in the town and surrounding area have experienced cancellations.
The commercial manager at the winery, Fabrizio Amorotti, said the mishap, "was appreciated by many. Some clients in the areas called us to warn us about it, and to share they were bottling the wine!"
Now that you've had your laugh, it's time to get back to reality. Be sure to read up on Can You Get Coronavirus From Touch Screen Monitors at Fast Food Restaurants?