A Regional Grocery Chain Recalls This Vegetable Product Due to Listeria
Giant Food Stores, a regional grocery chain with more than 160 locations in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C., has issued a voluntary recall of one of their pre-cut vegetable medleys found in the produce aisle.
The grocer is recalling a house-brand squash noodle medley, a combo of noodle-fied zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash, due to a contamination with Listeria. The vegetables were pulled off the shelves after one of the chain's suppliers reported that a regulatory sample had tested positive to the bacteria.
While the product is no longer available in stores, if you've purchased it between Aug. 8 and Aug. 19 at one of Giant grocery stores, look for the UCP number 68826718585 and a best-by date of Aug. 19 to find out whether your item is affected. Other UPCs of this product sold in stores during the same time frame are safe to consume.
If you find that you've purchased an item affected by this recall, you can return it to Giant for a full refund.
Listeria can cause listeriosis, an infection characterized by nausea, high fever, stomach upset, and diarrhea. It primarily affects pregnant women, newborns, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems. So far, there have been no reported cases of illness related to this product.
In early August, Listeria was found on lemons and oranges at Wegmans, and the retailer ended up pulling the citruses as well as any other house-made products that contain them. Other recent bacteria-related outbreaks in the produce aisle have included peaches and red onions contaminated with salmonella, which had been sold in nationwide Walmart, Trader Joe's, and Aldi locations.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Groceries
- – 26 Items Costco Is Discontinuing Right Now
- – 7 Strict Rules Trader Joe's Employees Have to Follow
- – Walmart Is Making Several Major Changes That Will Impact Your Holiday Shopping
- – Trader Joe's Will Not Bring Back These Two Customer Perks As Food Samples Return
- – 10 Costco Finds Customers Are Currently Raving About
- – 4 Beloved Costco Food Court Favorites That Are Now Overrated, Say Members
- – 7 Bacon Brands That Use the Highest Quality Ingredients
- – 5 Worst Salad Dressings for Blood Sugar