This Iconic Michelin-Starred Restaurant Was Just Destroyed in California's Wildfires
Glass Incident Fire, a blaze that started last Sunday near the border of Napa and Sonoma counties in California and caused widespread evacuations of the area, has destroyed several iconic vineyards, resorts, and restaurants. One of the biggest names among them is The Restaurant at Meadowood, an eatery boasting three Michelin stars.
The restaurant, situated in the luxury Meadowood resort in St. Helena, burned to the ground on Sept. 28, as the fire tore through the building which also housed its casual-dining counterpart The Grill at Meadowood and a golf shop. First images from the scene show the ruins of the restaurant with only two brick fireplaces still remaining. (Related: 9 Restaurant Chains That Closed Hundreds of Locations This Summer.)
The restaurant had been around since the early 1980s, and was headed by Chef Christopher Kostow for the past decade. "We are all torn apart," he wrote on Instagram. "A eulogy is deserved and will be given in due time … For now, I want to thank all of the TRAMily that have ever graced this magical space—and all of the guests over the years who have enjoyed the efforts of these multitudes. What an honor it has been."
Brett Anderson, who spoke on behalf of Pacific Union, the resort's parent company, emphasized that the safe evacuation of all guests and staff was "of paramount importance". He told East Bay Times there is no question whether the iconic restaurant would make a comeback, "The Harlan family and the Kroenke family are committed to the property. Whatever it takes to rebuild and reopen, we'll do."
While no human casualties have been reported, the fire has damaged or destroyed about 19 wineries, restaurants, and resorts, according to Eater. They include destination wineries like Castello di Amorosa, which suffered a loss of $5 million worth of wine, as well as Chateau Boswell, Burgess Cellars, Tofanelli Vineyards, and Fairwinds Estates Winery.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest restaurant news delivered straight to your inbox.
More content from Restaurants
- – Starbucks' New Digital Tipping System Slammed by Customers and Baristas Alike
- – 5 Fast-Food Add-Ons That Are Never Worth Your Money, According to Experts
- – 41-Year-Old Pizza Chain Bertucci's Goes Bankrupt For the Second Time
- – Outback Is Giving Away Free Bloomin' Onions, Thanks To a New Netflix Murder Mystery
- – Would You Spend $65 on One Pizza? Cici's Thinks Its New "Piezilla" Is Worth It
- – Starbucks Gift Cards Are Kind of a Scam—Here's Why
- – 7 Burger Chains with the Most Food Quality Complaints in 2022
- – 8 Clever Moves Fast-Food Chains Used To Stay Relevant in 2022