Massive Recall of Ground Beef Sold at Walmarts Nationwide
If you, like many others, have been cooking at home more often and stocking up on pantry staples like baking essentials, produce, and meat, you should be on the lookout for beef purchased at Walmart or other retailers after June 1.
Over 42,000 pounds of grass-fed organic ground beef has been recalled by Lakeside Refrigerated Services because of possible E. coli contamination. The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Services discovered the contamination during a routine inspection.
The beef was produced on June 1 and sold by the Marketside Butcher, Thomas Farms, and Value Pack names at Walmart, according to Consumer Reports. The packaging contains the establishment number: EST 46841 and a use or freeze date of 6/25/20, 6/27/20, or 7/1/20. If you have some of this beef in your refrigerator or freezer, the USDA says you should throw it away immediately.
There have been no reports of injuries, but the particular kind of beef recall is the highest level. Class I recalls are considered a "health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death." The bacteria, E. coli O157: H7, can cause dehydration, diarrhea, and stomach pains. In some cases, it can also cause a type of kidney failure. Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is found mostly in kids under the age of five and older adults.
To reduce your risk of E. coli contamination, you should cook all meat thoroughly to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. The USDA recommends using a food thermometer to check the precise temperature of the food.
Unfortunately, this beef recall is not super unusual. This type of meat is one of the most recalled foods of all time. Check out what other items made the list.
More content from Groceries
- – Many Costco Warehouses Just Added This In-Demand Item
- – This Is America's #1 Best Grocery Store, According to Shoppers
- – Walmart Is Putting Thousands of These Items on Sale, CEO Says
- – Costco Just Expanded This New Member Perk Once Again
- – Costco and Walmart Shoppers Are Noticing This Big Problem in Parking Lots
- – 5 Freezer Aisle Brands to Stay Away From Right Now
- – Costco Just Brought Back This Beloved Mini Bakery Item
- – The Price of This Costco Deli Item Has Gotten Out of Hand, Members Say