What Are Zoats and Should You Be Eating Them?
Have you heard about zoats yet? The funny sounding name actually describes a very straightforward (but delicious) dish made from shredded zucchini, oatmeal, milk, spices and nutrient-packed add-ins. While the zucchini may give your cereal a bit of a green tint, don't let that put you off—eating zucchini oats, or zoat-meal, is an easy way to add veggies to your breakfast bowl—somewhere it's rarely found. Plus, the green squash is low-cal, loaded with vitamins and packs more blood pressure-lowering potassium than a banana.
Zucchini's power player status in the produce aisle make it a natural addition to a bowl of heart-healthy oatmeal. Studies have found that oatmeal can help ward off hunger—which in turn can help you slim down—and zucchini's water and fiber content adds fuel to the fat-burning fire. So yes, you should be eating this wonderful dish! It's nutritious, delicious and it may help you reach your weight loss goals without going hungry or dying of breakfast boredom.
More content from Healthy Eating
- – This Eating Habit May Wreck Your Gut Health, Says Science
- – What Happens To Your Body When You're Hangry
- – What Happens to Your Gut When You Eat Oatmeal
- – 23 Water-Rich, Hydrating Foods
- – The #1 Best Fish to Keep Your Brain Sharp, Says Dietitian
- – Surprising Side Effects of Eating Lemon, Says Dietitian
- – Surprising Side Effects of Eating Corn, Says Science
- – 4 Ways to Eat Like the World's Oldest Woman