Quinoa, Green Chile & Cheddar Burgers with Southwest Broccoli Slaw
You don't have to endlessly browse the frozen food aisle for a vegetarian burger this summer when we have the perfect quinoa burger recipe right here! This quinoa burger is mixed with fresh vegetables, green chiles, chickpeas, egg, oats, and cheese, making for the ultimate cheesy and flavorful vegetarian burger that instantly rivals all the other burgers on the grill. Top this quinoa burger with a homemade southwestern broccoli slaw on a toasty bun, or enjoy it with a side salad for extra vegetable goodness!
For even more burger ideas, check out our list of 13+ Best Healthy Hamburger Recipes.
Makes 6 servings
For the burgers:
3/4 cup quinoa
Grapeseed or vegetable oil for cooking
1 poblano pepper, seeded, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
14 oz. can of chickpeas or adzuki beans, drained
4 oz. can of chopped green chilies
1/2 cup of rolled-cut oats
1 large egg
1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese, plus 6 slices of sharp cheddar for topping
6 seeded potato buns
1 large pickle, thinly sliced, plus more for serving on the side
For the slaw:
2 Tbsp Sour Cream
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tablespoon honey
1 lime, zest and juice
2-3 dashes Chipotle hot sauce
5 cups Pre-Packaged Broccoli Slaw – 12 oz bag
Large handful chopped cilantro, about 2 tablespoons
2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
How to Make It
- Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve until water runs clear. Transfer quinoa to a medium pot with 1 ½ cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until quinoa is tender and a white "tail" appears around each grain, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the poblano and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chickpeas or adzuki beans and chopped green chiles and cook, stirring until well combined, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool slightly—about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor along with the oats and pulse a few times until finely chopped. Add ½ of the quinoa and pulse a few minutes more until well combined then transfer everything back to the bowl.
- Stir in the remaining quinoa, shredded cheddar, oats, and egg, and mix until well combined. Using your hands, mush everything together until well combined.
- Form the mixture into 6 even patties about ½ inch thick. Transfer to a foil or parchment-lined tray. Transfer the patties to the fridge or freezer while you make the slaw. You can make the patties ahead and freeze them in an airtight container or resealable plastic baggie for up to 3 months.
- Prepare the slaw: In a medium bowl whisk together the sour cream, mayo, honey, lime juice, and zest, and a dash or two of hot sauce. Add the broccoli slaw, cilantro, and scallion. Toss until well combined and season with salt and pepper to taste. Use more hot sauce if you like things spicy.
- Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan (preferably non-stick) over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden brown for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, lightly toast the buns.
- Spread the inside of the buns lightly with mayonnaise and ketchup. Use as much of each as desired. Lay a few pickle slices on the bottom then top with the patties and slaw. Serve with any additional slaw and sliced pickles on the side.
More content from Recipes
- – Old-Fashioned New England Dishes and Drinks That Are Still Popular
- – 13 Healthier Old-Fashioned Midwestern Recipes To Try Tonight
- – 30+ Easy Dinners That Will Leave You With Plenty of Leftovers
- – 20 Old-Fashioned Pie Recipes To Make This Weekend
- – 23 Old-Fashioned Summer Recipes You Need To Make
- – 15 Classic 1950-era Dishes That Will Make You Feel Super American
- – 15 Vintage Cakes That Are Perfect for Birthdays
- – 8 5-Ingredient Smoothie Recipes to Lose Abdominal Fat