A 10-Minute Baked Eggs With Mushroom and Spinach Recipe
Looking for some excitement in your weekday breakfast routine? Then ditch the cereal, drop the frozen waffles, and, for goodness sake, put down that bagel! Instead, pick up a ramekin and preheat the oven. The little ceramic vessels are perfect for housing eggs, meat, cheese, and vegetables and then tossing in the oven. What emerges 10 minutes later is a perfectly cooked egg—whites soft but firm, yolk gloriously runny—surrounded by a tasty and filling supporting cast. Use a larger ramekin if you'd prefer two eggs for breakfast. Either way, we suggest some whole-wheat toast to dip directly into the dish.
Nutrition: 150 calories, 9 g fat (2.5 g saturated), 560 mg sodium
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
4 slices Canadian bacon or deli ham, cut into thin strips
1⁄2 (10 oz.) bag frozen spinach, thawed
1⁄2 (7 oz.) can roasted green chiles
Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Stir in the bacon, spinach, and chiles, and cook for a few minutes, until the spinach is heated through.
- If any water from the spinach accumulates in the pan, carefully drain.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture among 4 6-ounce oven-safe ramekins that have been lightly greased with butter.
- Carefully crack an egg into each, making sure to keep the yolks intact.
- Place the ramekins in a baking dish and bake until the whites are just set but the yolks are still runny, about 10 minutes.
Eat This Tip
Toss one of these in the oven when you wake up, and it will be ready to eat when you get out of the shower. Keep it fresh and exciting by changing the supporting ingredients as often as possible (or just use it as an excuse to get rid of vegetables, deli meats, and cheeses sitting around in your fridge). Invent at will, but take these ideas for inspiration:
- Leftover chicken, salsa verde, and crumbled feta
- Chili, diced onions, and cheddar
- Chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary) and a splash of cream