Healthy Homemade Chickpea Falafel
These lightened-up chickpea patties get started on the stovetop and finished in the oven, giving them the crunchy outer layer usually achieved with deep-frying, only with less mess. They're wonderfully addictive on their own or as the main component of a simple pita sandwich, with parsley, cucumbers, cabbage, and yogurt sauce.
This recipe is excerpted from Healthy Living Made Easy by Thrive Market. Photographs by Thrive Market. Used with permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
- 1 cup Thrive Market Almond Flour, packed
- 1 pouch Thrive Market Organic Chickpeas, mashed (or 1 14.5-ounce can)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Thrive Market Organic Tahini
- 3 tablespoons Thrive Market Organic Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Thrive Market Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Thrive Market Organic Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Thrive Market Organic Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Thrive Market Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tablespoon sumac (optional)
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Form the mixture into patties about 2 inches wide.
- Warm a drizzle of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, cook patties for 2 minutes on each side, until browned and crispy. Transfer patties to the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes until cooked through.
Sign up for the Eat This, Not That! newsletter to get daily recipes and food news in your inbox!