Chocolate Cherry Bread Pudding With Pistachios Recipe
If you’re a chocolate lover looking to add more recipes to your rotation, this is quite the treat. This chocolate cherry bread pudding is so gooey, you won’t believe it clocks in under 350 calories.
Thanks to a dose of sweet cherries, cinnamon, and vanilla bean paste, this bread pudding is absolutely bursting with flavor. You’ll get a boost of protein, too, thanks to the eggs and egg whites that go into it. The recipe is so decadent, you’ll forget it’s made with whole-grain bread.
And with all of chocolate’s health benefits, there’s no reason not to indulge. Chocolate can work as an anti-inflammatory and improve your mood, so there are plenty of reasons to incorporate it into your regular diet. This recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate chunks, along with frozen cherries and a healthy dose of pistachio. Plus, this recipe won’t undo your nutrition goals, either. Fire up the oven, throw the ingredients together, and dig into this decadent bread pudding recipe!
Nutrition: 340 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated), 229 mg sodium
Makes 8 servings
Nonstick cooking spray
4 large egg whites
4 large eggs
1 cup skim milk
½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
8 oz whole-grain bread, crusts removed, cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
2 cups frozen sweet cherries, thawed
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks
3/4 cup roasted unsalted pistachios, chopped, divided
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg whites, eggs, and milk in a medium bowl. Add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon; whisk to combine.
- Toss bread cubes, cherries, chocolate chunks, and two-thirds of the chopped pistachios in a large bowl. Add the egg-milk mixture and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and gently push down to compact. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining one-third of the pistachios. Continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.