There's nothing quite like a good, juicy burger. And, yes, it is possible to eat burgers and lose weight! Zero Belly Cookbook author David Zinczenko shows you how, with this recipe for a classic beef burger that's only 343 calories with 9 grams of fat — and has a secret fat-burning sauce!
Makes 4 servings
1 lb extra-lean ground beef (at least 90%)
3 tbsp Black Pepper Marinade (see recipe below)
1 tsp kosher salt
4 gluten-free English muffins or burger buns, toasted
1 beefsteak tomato, cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
8 leaves Bibb lettuce
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
How to Make it
1. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, marinade, and salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. While the beef is marinating, heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
3. Form the beef mixture into 4 patties and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. The center should be pink and juicy.
4. Spread each toasted burger bun top with 11⁄2 teaspoons ketchup and 11⁄2 teaspoons mustard. Place a burger on each toasted burger bun bottom and top with slices of red tomato, 2 lettuce leaves, and a burger top.
Nutrition per serving: 343 calories / 9 g fat / 41 g carb / 2 g fiber / 25 g protein
Zero Belly Cookbook Recipe: Black Pepper Marinade
Yields 1 cup
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
1⁄2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
3 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup (packed) brown sugar
How to Make it
1. Grind the coriander seeds, peppercorns, and cumin seeds in a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder until very fine.
2. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of a small food processor and puree until smooth. Add the ground spices and process to incorporate.
3. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Nutrition per tbsp: 47 calories / 3 g fat / 4 g carb / 0 g fiber / 0 g protein