Brown Rice Congee with Chicken, Edamame, and Crispy Mushrooms
Need a comforting, thick bowl of savory porridge? Look no further than this congee. Packed with chicken and edamame, it's an excellent lunch or dinner option. You can easily make it ahead and reheat it, saving the crispy mushroom step until just before serving.
The base of the porridge uses both long grain brown and short grain white rice—the short grain white rice adds creaminess and body while the brown rice adds a nutty flavor and plenty of nutrition. And there's some ginger and shallots in there for depth of flavor. Top with sesame oil if you can—it really makes a difference!
Makes 2 to 4 servings
2 Tbsp olive oil
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1/4 cup short grain white rice
1/2 cup long grain brown rice
4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or water
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
3 1/2 oz maitake, shiitake, or enoki mushrooms
1 Tbsp soy sauce, to taste
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil, to taste
How to Make It
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and shallot and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the brown and white rice and cook, stirring constantly, for another minute. Add the chicken broth and salt. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan halfway, and cook for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the rice is creamy and thick.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the edamame and chicken.
- Just before serving, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; be sure to choose a pan that's large enough to fit the mushrooms in a single layer without crowding. Once the oil shimmers, add the mushrooms and cook without stirring for about 5 minutes, or until brown and crispy on the bottom. Flip the mushrooms and cook until the other side is crispy, too.
- Divide the congee between 2 to 4 bowls, depending on the serving size you want, and drizzle evenly with soy sauce.
- Top with the crispy mushrooms and drizzle the sesame oil over the top.