Summery Crab Toast with Fennel Chimichurri
This light summer snack, and many other delicious food and wine pairings, comes from my new cookbook Washington: Wine+ Food. The next time you host a party, regale your guests with a dish that's sure to impress and that's worthy of social media posts. You can prepare much of it in advance so that minimal prep work is needed when guests start to arrive.
For the Fennel Chimichurri:
2 Tbsp chopped fennel fronds
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 Tbsp chopped chives
1 Tbsp finely chopped shallot
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp orange juice
For the Crab Toast:
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
4 slices sourdough bread
4 cloves garlic
1 lb Dungeness crabmeat, picked clean of shells
1 bulb fennel, cut into matchsticks (1 cup)
1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup Fennel Chimichurri
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup fennel fronds, chopped
How to Make It
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush oil on one side of bread, place on a baking sheet
- Toast for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Rub garlic on one side of the toasted bread.
- In a bowl, combine crabmeat, fennel, apple, lemon juice, chimichurri, salt, and pepper and
- Top the toast with the crab mixture and garnish with fennel fronds. Serve.
Excerpted from Washington Wine + Food: The Cookbook by Julien Perry. Photographs by Charity Burggraaf. Copyright 2020 by Julien Perry. Texts and recipes copyright © 2020 by individual contributors. Excerpted with permission from Figure 1 Publishing. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.