Crunchy Peach Parfaits
This recipe is excerpted from Diabetes Create Your Plate Meal Prep Cookbook by Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, FAND. Photographs by Alison Lima. Used with permission of Robert Rose Books. All rights reserved.
Parfaits are layers of yogurt, fruit and granola or nuts — a variety of flavors and textures in every bite. Fresh or canned peaches work beautifully in this recipe.
Homemade Granola Recipe
- 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) gluten-free largeflake (old-fashioned) rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) raw or unsalted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp (0.5 mL) kosher salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried tart Cherries
Rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper
Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C)
How to Make The Homemade Granola
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, cashews, sunflower seeds, coconut, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy. Gently fold the egg white into the oats mixture, distributing it evenly.
- Spread the granola in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake, using a spatula to turn sections of the granola over and breaking up larger pieces halfway through, until the granola is slightly browned and dried, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Once cool, use a spatula to break up any larger pieces of the granola. Sprinkle in the tart cherries and gently toss to distribute.
TO ASSEMBLE THE PARFAITS:
In each of four jars, add 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) of the yogurt. Top with 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) of the canned peaches with juice and about 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) of the granola. Repeat the layers one more time, ending with the granola. Assemble the fifth parfait 1 or 2 days before eating.
TO STORE: Cover the assembled parfaits and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Store the granola in a sealable container or plastic bag at room temperature for up to 2 weeks
- 21 ⁄2 cups (625 mL) nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups (500 mL) Homemade Granola
- 21 ⁄2 cups (625 mL) no-sugar-added canned peaches, with juice
TOBY'S TIPS | If you prefer, swap the cashews for your favorite nut, like almonds, pistachios or walnuts. Oats are naturally gluten-free, but some brands process their oats in a facility that also processes products with gluten. Check the label of your oats to make sure it was manufactured in a facility that is gluten-free.