Quick and Easy Curried Egg Salad Recipe
If you haven't tried making your own egg salad, you might not be super into the food. It can bring to mind prepackaged sandwiches at the airport or a convenience store, which are lackluster at best. They're also not exactly the most nutritious options, and you don't know how long they've been sitting on the shelf. But egg salad can be a delicious and healthy lunch if you know how to make it—this curried egg salad recipe is proof.
Ground cumin and curry powder, along with a bit of cayenne pepper, give this pita pocket an extra dose of flavor. Plus, when you add fresh spices like these, you won't have to use as much mayo in the recipe for flavor. That already makes this curried egg salad significantly healthier than its premade counterparts. Fresh spinach adds a dose of magnesium to the mix, too. Raisins and cashews, along with peas and red onions, add even more flavor and nutrition.
With 15 grams of protein, this recipe is a great option if you're looking for a filling, healthy lunch idea. And there's no stove or oven required—all you have to do is mix the ingredients together. (You will need to hard-boil the six eggs ahead of time, though.) You'll have a satisfying, fresh pita sandwich in no time, and it won't look anything like the premade ones on the shelf at the airport.
Nutrition: 300 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated), 478 mg sodium, 3 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 15 g protein
Makes 4 servings
6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup chopped red onions
1/4 cup raisins
2 Tbsp chopped raw cashews
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Dash cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 cup fresh spinach
2 whole-grain pita breads, halved
How to Make It
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, peas, red onion, raisins, and cashews.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, curry powder,
cumin, and cayenne.
- Add to eggs and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place spinach in pita bread pockets and fill with egg salad.
More content from Recipes
- – 15 Foods That Just Taste Better in the South
- – 18 Dishes You Never Knew You Could Make in a Slow Cooker
- – 16 Old-Fashioned Lunch Recipes That Will Save You Money
- – I Tried Making Kevin's Famous Chili From 'The Office'—Here's What Happened
- – 8 "Southern" Foods That Aren't Actually From the South
- – 13 Cozy Breakfasts To Make This Fall
- – 8 Sheet-Pan Recipes That Fight Inflammation
- – 65 Cozy Comfort Foods That Also Help With Weight Loss