Egg Muffins with Spinach and Feta
This recipe is excerpted from Diabetes Create Your Plate Meal Prep Cookbook by Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, FAND. Photographs by Alison Lima. Used with permission of Robert Rose Books. All rights reserved.
Eggs are a perfect protein because they contain all the essential amino acids needed for growth and your body's maintenance. But don't forget to eat the yolk! There is as much protein in an egg yolk as there is in the egg white. Each serving of two egg muffins contains a whole egg, which means you'll reap its full benefits.
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach
- 6 large eggs
- 6 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) nonfat milk
- 1 ⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 ⁄4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 ⁄2 cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, an additional 2 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt and pepper.
- Divide the spinach mixture equally among the 12 prepared muffin cups. Pour the egg mixture over the spinach mixture and top each muffin with 2 tsp (10 mL) of the feta cheese.
- Bake until the tops are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the pan.
TO STORE: In each of six containers, add two egg muffins. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
TO SERVE: If needed, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. To reheat, microwave uncovered on High for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Serve warm.
TOBY'S TIP | If you prefer, swap the spinach for 8 oz (225 g) of sliced cremini mushrooms. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes until the liquid is released.
More content from Recipes
- – 11 Best Ramen Recipes To Make This Winter
- – I Made Ross' Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich With the Moist-maker—& It's Too Much
- – 13 Delicious Ways to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
- – 7 Tips to Expertly Brine a Turkey, According to Chefs
- – 17 Classic Comfort Foods That Need To Make a Comeback
- – 7 Thanksgiving Side Dishes You Can Make in Your Air Fryer
- – 7 Holiday Desserts You Can Enjoy if You Have High Blood Sugar
- – 25 Healthy Chicken Recipes You Can Make in 15 Minutes (Or Less!)